Mini rugby is the next step on the Rugby Union ladder after micros – for children from the ages of 6 to 12.
Starting with the Under 7’s, we run a fun, yet structured approach to ball-handling skills, team building and tag rugby. During this year, the kids are also introduced to competitive tag games against other clubs. Tag rugby advances through to the Under 8’s.
From Under 9’s through to Under 12’s, the children train and compete in full contact rugby with each age grade having new core skills added e.g. tackle [Under 9’s] one vs one ruck [Under 10’s], kicking [Under 11’s], 5 player scrums [Under 12’s] etc.
Mini rugby – the facts:
- Mini rugby is for girls and boys aged between 6 and 12 years old.
- Mini rugby takes place every Sunday morning between 10.30am and 12pm.
- The season begins on the first Sunday in September and ends on the last Sunday in April.
- The main aim is to learn how to play the game in a fun and safe environment.
- Players are divided into age group teams, depending on their age as of 1st September.
- Our coaches will also take into consideration experience, confidence and physical size.
- Each age group team has at least one RFU qualified coach and all coaches are DBS checked.
- Matches against other clubs usually take place once a month, both at home and away.
Stuart Smyth, Youth Development Officer
For more information about Active Youth, please contact Stuart Smyth on: firstname.lastname@example.org
1. The main focus at this age is to provide children with rugby related activities in a safe, secure and ENJOYABLE environment. Sessions are designed to introduce the basic fundamental movements of rugby whilst understanding fair play, sharing and co-operation.
2. All children must be registered with the club. We offer a come and try it policy whereby new players can participate in 2 or 3 sessions before we ask you to pay the annual subscription. Full details of Club membership, player’s packs and weekly subscriptions can be found in the Parent’s Handbook available from the Club.
3. Training and matches will run for 1.5 hours from 10:30am to 12.00pm. [Please note for away matches, parents will be required to provide transport where possible for journeys of less than 40 miles].
4. Equipment/clothing requirements. All players should be equipped with boots with studs. Players can wear shorts or trackpants, socks and a top which they don’t mind getting wet or muddy. Please provide a change of clothing for after the sessions and dress your child appropriately for the weather conditions. For matches, the Club supplies playing shirts and expects all players to wear Club shorts and socks. [These are included in the Annual Player’s Pack which each Mini can purchase at a discounted price when registering at the start of the season].
5. The game is non contact up to Under 8’s and therefore no other protections, gum shields etc. are recommended at this level.
6. For Under 9’s and above, full contact begins and gum shields are mandatory. Other safety equipment e.g. headguards etc. are optional.
7. Kit can be purchased from the club shop, which is open every Sunday morning (Purchases can also be made during the week by asking at Barons reception desk).
1. If you would like more information about the RFU regulations relating to mini rugby, click here
2. Get involved – watch, encourage, cheer, clap etc. – Please remember, always be positive – it encourages the players and makes a difference
3. Lend a hand – If you want to help, please speak to the YDO or Coaches.