Scarborough RUFC has been in existence for almost 90 years. Following a meeting of rugby enthusiasts at Scarborough’s Pavilion Hotel in 1926, the town’s first rugby club was formed.
Matches were first played on Seamer Road, at Scarborough Athletic Football Club’s ground. The majority of sporting men and the press laughed at the idea of a rugby match being of interest to anyone in Scarborough, but by the end of the fourth game the Club had a gate of more than 1,000.
After the Athletic ground era, the Club moved to Newby in the late 1920’s. The site progressed over the years, but as the Club grew and teams of all age groups were added, there became a need for more pitches, more changing rooms, more showers, more everything!
In January 2009, the Club finally moved to their present home at Silver Royd following the completion of the J. M. Guthrie Clubhouse. With the support of John Guthrie and a number of loyal members and volunterrs, we’re now proud to be one of the best amateur rugby facilities in the country.
Scarborough RUFC’s progression from a meeting of like-minded chaps in 1926 to the first-class complex we have today is one of fellowship, generosity and hard-work. Without these virtues, Silver Royd would not exist.